So I've decided that I have the best job ever. Monday through Friday between the hours of 9-4, I get to act like a little kid (which anybody who has ever met me knows is one of my all-time favorite things). I'm not gonna lie, hanging out with a 5 and 7 year old definitely has its challenges. For example, convincing O-Dog that he has to brush his teeth everyday and not just on Saturdays, or telling Lu that sorry but you're not allowed to wear just a Hello Kitty trainer bra out of the house have proven to be quite the task. However, it's the little moments that make me love my job & then some.
We've had some amazing adventures so far this summer including a trip to the Children's Museum (that place never gets old, no matter how old I get), many trips to the library and Cup & Cone, hours spent exploring various parks and playgrounds, countless days splashing in the pool, a trip to The Works (a cool hands-on museum about engineering), and even a day filled with arts & crafts. While these have all been incredibly fun days spent with the kids, I'd have to say my favorite memories of this summer have been the times when we're not doing much of anything. I will seriously miss building endless forts in their basement, driving around jamming out to some of our favorite music and having dance parties in their living room. They find joy in the simplest things, and they help me remember to do the same. Their parents keep telling me that I've made a big impression on the kids (even resulting in Lu asking her mom if she could get some basketball shorts like mine and O-Dog trying to fill their cart with Cars gifts for me), but really it's the other way around. These kids have helped me reclaim my yearbook title of "most likely to never grow up." They've taught me that I'm not too old to be silly or have a wild imagination. They've given me a gift that I could have never imagined because they've shown me how to view the world as if I'm looking at it for the first time again.
So go climb a tree, fly a kite, or color a picture. Dance while you do the dishes. Don't be afraid to act like a kid again, life's more fun that way anyway.
All my love,
Kate
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I totally agree! Be a child as often as possible. Don't be "childish", but live an hour, a day, a moment like a child does. I'm on the verge of turning 42, but some days I swear I wake up 16 or 10 or barely 23. I love it! Is it 1984 or 2010? Hard to tell some days.
ReplyDeleteI love your writing, Kate!
Aunt Kath