Thursday, August 12, 2010

Just let the love, love, love begin

So although I didn't believe it was possible, I am now even more in love with Ingrid Michaelson. My good friend Maddie and I had the opportunity to see her perform at First Ave in Minneapolis last night and I have been loving life ever since. I mean what could be better than hanging out with a good friend and enjoying some high quality music? Not much, that's for sure.

Not only is Ingrid an incredibly talented singer/songwriter/performer, but she's just downright cool. She doesn't need the elaborate stages of Taylor Swift or the crazy costumes of Lady Gaga (although she did work in a few bars of "Poker Face" to her opening song) to put on an entertaining show. All she really needs is a ukulele and a microphone, her genuine awesomeness takes care of the rest. Clad in a simple tank top & jeans with her hair up in a bun and a headband in place, she graced the stage and established an immediate connection with the crowd. She had us all singing along and even taught us some choreography to get everybody involved! She kept us all laughing by telling stories and cracking jokes between songs and, much to our enjoyment, she even did a punk rock version of "The Way I Am."

While it was sad to see her leave the stage, the end of her performance was easily the most entertaining portion. After calling herself "an extremely serious musician," her and her band mates performed their own rendition of "Toxic" by the one and only, Britney Spears. As they exited the stage, they proved that they could sing and dance while showing off some of their best choreographed dance moves, which ended by lifting Ingrid in the air like she had just won the Quidditch cup (I couldn't help but throw in a Harry Potter reference).


She radiates awesomeness
(disclaimer: this picture isn't actually from our concert, but you get the idea)



So as you've probably guessed, last night definitely makes my top ten list for the summer of 2010. I had an excellent time and I can't wait to see Ingrid again in Chicago. Oh and if you haven't already seen the light, you should probably go get your hands on as much of her music as you can :)

All my love,
Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment