Wednesday, March 3, 2010

I Think I'm Joining the NFL...

So I've been feeling pretty down lately. I know that's kind of a depressing way to begin a post but it seems like there's something bad going on in all of my friend's lives and there's not a whole lot I can do about any of it. I've always tried really hard to be there for my friends, especially when they're going through a difficult time, but lately I've been feeling pretty powerless. I've never been the best with words, I think I do much better with nonverbals, so I feel like I can help them the most when I can physically sit next to them, give them a hug, and provide a shoulder to cry on. However, it makes it a lot harder to do that when I live 400 miles away.

Hearing about all the tough things going on in my friend's lives has also made me take a closer look at my own. In all honesty, I have nothing to complain about. I have an amazingly wonderful family who loves me very much, I have incredible friends who always have my back, and I have more opportunities available to me than I can possibly imagine. Seriously, my life is good. But I still can't help but wonder why my life gets to be so great and everybody else seems to have something seriously negative to deal with. It just doesn't seem fair. I didn't do anything to deserve this unchecked happiness, and my friends didn't do anything to deserve their pain.

This made me think back to freshman year of high school, during my good old days of T.L.C. (Thinking Learning & Communicating) with Mr. Cody. Something we learned about in T.L.C. was the idea of "hits." Hits are anything bad that happens to you, whether it be stubbing your toe or the death of a friend. Everyone has to take turns getting hits because it's just part of life. Sometimes the hits you're dealt are more serious and sometimes they're pretty insignificant, but you just have to accept them when it's your turn. You have to realize that a hit is not some personal attack on your life or a reflection on you as a person, but it's just something that happens to everybody.

This way of thinking has really helped me make sense of the disparity between the negativity in my life compared to the lives of my friends. I realize now that their troubles aren't something they deserved, but they're a natural part of life. I've also realized that I shouldn't feel bad about my own current happiness because that's a normal part of life too. I also know that the time will come when I have to take some hits of my own, and I'll be ready to face them head on. So for now, I'm going to try my best to help my friends however I can, I'm going to appreciate the things I've got going for me, and whenever I get hit I'm going to take it like an NFL linebacker. I'm just gonna keep on keepin' on.

All my love,
Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment